Monday, February 22, 2010

My addiction to... Not Brandy, but Bronte!


Well, over the past 2 weeks I've been sick two different times with some sort of sinus infection. Part of me feels like it may be allergies due to the mold inside the shower walls... yeah... it's not pretty... but, other than that not a whole lot has happened.

I've watched almost every bbc period drama there is on youtube. My favorite so far was Jane Eyre. I read the book in high school, but I didn't really read it. I just kinda skimmed through it and read the pages that my teacher had marked down where the answers should be.

However, this version of Jane Eyre had me at full attention. In my previous reading of the novel I understood that Jane was an orphan and that she fell in love with her employer, but it never stood out to me why. I found that Rochester, unlike many other heroines love interests of the day, actually had character. He was cynical, dark, and sometimes scary. All in all he is what some call a Byronic hero. Meaning that the character takes after the Late Lord Byron of the period in which these novels were written. Of course it doesn't hurt that the actor who portrayed Rochester was handsome, does it?

Upon further investigation I noticed that Charlotte Bronte was a sister of two other great female authors of the time. Their names were Emily and Anne. Emily wrote Wuthering Heights which we all know I wasn't so fond of. While, Anne wrote The Tenant of Wildfell hall, a story in which a young seemingly widowed woman and her son go to live in a rented house near a small farming town and their encounters with the folk that live there and dealing with the drama of their past.

The three sisters have three entirely different writing styles. Each one is brilliant in it's own respect. Emily, was more of a gothic romantic writer, where as Anne played on the more realistic dramas and romances there are in life. Charlotte was seemingly the most "romantic" of the three, as her stories had mostly happy endings even though there were a few misgivings.

I feel like I've been writing about this for a long time! I hope I didn't bore you! I love Literature! Also, history of womens writing is very interesting to me. It shows how many doors have been opened in so little a time... This friday my friend Molly and I are going to have tea in Doc's. Anyone is welcome to come! We're just gonna have a cup of tea and talk about books and stuff! I think I'm starting to like this whole Estrogen thing... Not that I didn't before... ha ha! Have a good week! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment